Prophetic Witness - April 2011
The Crucial Cross
There are several viewpoints and vantage-points from which the Cross may be contemplated. Four call for special mention. The Cross is kaleidoscopic. It may be regarded in the following four aspects: (1) the Cosmic Cross; (2) the Prophetic Cross; (3) the Historic Cross and (4) the Symbolic Cross.
Look at them in that order.
THE COSMIC CROSS
"The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" (Revelation 13:8). "I beheld, and, 10, in the midst of the throne, a Lamb as it had been (newly) slain" (Revelation 5:6).
We do not rightly read the Cross until we see it in a cosmic and eternal context. The crucifixion of Christ was no private affair conducted clandestinely in an obscure corner of a peripheral province in the ancient Roman Empire. It spans all space and transcends all time. Before it was an act in history, it was, a fact in eternity. "The cosmos," as Brian A. Greet neatly notes, "is cruciform."
In a previous chapter we reminded ourselves that God can never properly be spoken of as the Author of evil.
(Note: Only part of this article has been reproduced here. To read the whole article you need to purchase the specific edition of Prophetic Witness in which it was printed. If this is not our current edition of Prophetic Witness, then please contact our Head Office (details at the bottom of this page) to see if it is still available).
In this edition of Prophetic Witness
- Powerpoint - this month's comment from Byron Jones.
- Isaiah 53 And The Messiah Of Israel
- From Our Israel Desk - David Hoyle
- In Touch - Rev Colin Le Noury
- You Shall Be My Witnesses: The Transatlantic History Of PWMI - Part 1 by Dr Paul Wilkinson
- The Company Of The Burning Hearts - Rev Glyn Taylor
- The Crucial Cross - Rev Ian McPherson
- The Lamb In The Book Of Revelation - Norman S. Clay
- Signs Of The Times - Rev Glyn Taylor
- What In The World Is Happening?
- Statement Of Belief
- What's On